:: Header image by me :: "it's up to you to find beauty in the ugliest days" :: "Save some time to dream, cos your dream might save us all.” ::

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lemony Twist

So, confession. This isn't actually taken on a polaroid camera. it's taken on my DSLR but converted polaroid style by a program called Poladroid. It's such a wonderful little program. It even spits out the pics like an actual polaroid and plasters them on your desktop.

So I'm home, in the town I grew up in, for a couple of weeks. It's the spring uni holidays, and it really is feeling like spring. It's sunny and warm, and the cats are rolling around in the sun. Ah, home.

My father has requested that I bake him a cake - my world famous in my flat lemon curd cake, to be precise. The recipe I found on this wonderful website, but have modified it slightly... ie, I add the juice of the lemon that has been de-zested, and only put in 100g of lemon curd (from New Zealand's trusted Barkers brand, which is made in my home town, where I am now). This lemon curd is stirred into the mixture, as I found that when it was spooned over top, it just sunk to the bottom of the cake leaving a gooey mess. I don't like mess.

170g butter (grated into the sugar makes it easier to cream)
1½ cups sugar
4 large eggs
zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon
1½ cups flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
100g lemon curd

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add each egg one at a time, beating between additions. Add the zest and juice of the lemon. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture and fold the mixture together. Add the lemon curd and mix.

Pop into a cake tin (I use those floppy silicone ones, they're just so easy to wash, and you only need to spray with cooking spray and they pop out so easily!), and into the oven at 180ÂșC for about 1 hour or until a knife comes away clean.

Voila!


1 comment:

  1. So, made this cake on the weekend and it was AMAZING :D Thanks for the recipe, definitely going to make it again asap.

    ReplyDelete